The government is presenting their budget this week and we are calling on them to provide people with help and hope.
We want investments to help long-term care, hospitals, schools and job creation.
Our top budget priorities include:
- Achieve four hours of daily hands-on care for every long-term care resident urgently by hiring 10,000 full-time PSWs in long-term care, and giving them higher wages and paid training
- Immediately reinstate comprehensive Resident Quality Inspections in long-term care
- Shore up the hospital sector with increases to base funding and eliminating all hospital deficits
- Give hospitals funding to eliminate the backlog of surgeries and cancer screenings. A minimum of 227,500 patients are waiting in pain for surgeries that were delayed
- Provide funding to get shovels in the ground on hospital construction and expansion urgently, including new hospital beds in Scarborough, and a new full hospital in Brampton
Students and schools
- Help students recover pandemic learning loss by hiring additional teachers and education workers, guaranteeing smaller class sizes and no layoffs
- Help students overcome the difficult pandemic year with new mental health supports in every school
- Fund 14 paid sick days and guarantee paid time off to get a vaccine
- Provide small businesses with expanded rent and payroll supports until businesses are back on their feet